Where can I find it?

Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:10:59 -0700

No.  The Julius Bauer piano is no longer being built.  You are correct, there is
a new piano being marketed that bears that same name.  But both the company and
the piano have been changed.  There is no similarity and no resemblance.  The
so-called Julius Bauer that is now be 'built' in Korea or China has absolutely
no connection with the Julius Bauer of yesterday.

This seems to be a fairly common practice these days.  Actually, it has been for
some time now.  When a company cannot produce an exceptional piano of its own --
one that it can be proud of in its own right -- it seems to believe that it is
acceptable to borrow the name of a piano that was once great and present their
all-to-often second-rate product as if it were somehow the same.  Perhaps they
believe that by putting a great name on the fall board -- Maybe even tacking it
onto the plate, it's easy enough to do these days. -- they can absorb some of
that greatness.

It doesn't work, but it does seem to fool a lot of the people a lot of the
time.  Including some who should know better.  Which is, of course, the real
intent.  There are a lot of great names that are still on the market and now
coming back into the market that are just that.  Great names and not much more.
That doesn't mean that all those great pianos are still around.  They are here
in name only.  Sadly.  Perhaps if some of those great pianos really were still
around the industry wouldn't be in the doldrums it is in today.  As may be, the
practice is certainly legal, but the ethics of it are sometimes questionable.

Del