More on repitition problem- S&S

Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:36:49 -0700

Rob,

At 01:46 PM 9/25/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>Ahhh yes, I see it in the catalogue now. Boy that was kind of a dumb
>design. Did any other company use these? In the thousands of pianos I've
>worked on I don't recall seeing them in any other pianos except S&S.
>Perhaps I've just been lucky!

I respectfully demurr, again.

The earlier versions of the tool are really quite elegant.  It seems
to be only in the later "Hale", even cheaper, imitations, that the molds
for the castings have become so distorted that the thing not only looks
ugly, but is dysfunctional as well.

One remedy is to use your imagination, and your handy grinder, to restore
a smaller, more elegant profile, particularly around the business ends,
and their adjacent necks.  Depending on how bad the casting is, you
will wind up removing a fair percentage of the mass of the tool (maybe
10%, or more).

As to the design being dumb - Which is more dumb - Having a capstan
regulating systems which allows you to do it completely by feel,
note to note and section to section?  Or, one which guarantees having
to work at uncomfortable angles just so that you can see all that you
must see to do the job?

Idle thoughts of a clearly misinformed mind.

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT
Systems Analyst/Engineer