SAT RCT

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:54:24 -0600

Hi all,

Regarding RCT vs SAT. The rotation exercise is not necessary. Simply plug
in an external mic to RCT and put the computer where ever it is easy and
comfortable to see.

I am glad that the good Dr. has improved his product. It was quite
venerable and of course the microprocessor in the SAT and SAT2 cost the
princely sum of less than $1.00. (remember this chip was in the commodore
64 and the Apple 2C)

Might I ask if it can display the tuning it generates before you use
it?

Does it do redundant sampling when calculating a tuning to make sure the
note was correctly recorded?

Does it warn you if a sample is invalid?

Might I ask if it can display the partial structure of notes on the piano
as an aid to voicing? (not to mention showing the client what is going
on--after all they often don't hear what we hear.)

Might I ask if it has essential unlimited storage for tunings?

Might I ask if it can vary pitch correction compensations between 9% to 45%
Does it all you to specify where the strings change from wound to unwound
and automatically switch to a higher over pull percentage?

If your SAT fails can you borrow a friends laptop computer and load the
software and continue to work at the kind of comfort level you wish, or do
you need to have a backup SAT (as I did for years)?

Can a SAT user download tunings over the internet from another SAT owner
without the use of a midi box and computer?

Clearly RCT is feature rich when compared to the SAT. It is also given the
low cost of PC laptop computers a cheaper solution.

How much is it worth to you to have your entire data base with you when you
answer your cell phone?

As to battery life. I can tune and pitch correct 4 pianos before I need to
access an AC line to recharge my computer.

At 06:04 PM 9/26/98 -0300, you wrote:
>Hi Clyde,
>You are correct, we are always more at ease with the things we are
familiar with.
>Also correct on the III as opposed to 111, I just wasn,t thinking.
>I still think the viewing angle is critical, to those of us who don't
rotate as
>easily, as we used to.
>Regards,
>John M. Ross
>Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.
>
>Clyde Hollinger wrote:
>
>> Friends:
>>
>>         I suspect this is another one of those situations where those
who are
>> familiar with the SAT II will like the SAT III better than the RCT.
>> Conversely, those who become first familiar with the RCT will likely
>> always prefer it to the SAT.  It's because we become used to the way
>> things are, and that's what we expect.  That's what keeps me going to
>> the same supermarket even though others might be better; at least I can
>> find what I want!
>>         Having never owned either, I am still undecided about which way
to go,
>> even having seen Jim Coleman Sr.'s video.  Chances are I would be
>> perfectly happy with either one.
>>         Also, I believe the new SAT is the III (three), not the 111 (one
>> hundred eleven).  Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>> Clyde Hollinger

Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
drose@dlcwest.com