Dampp-Chaser grumblings....an end of the week tale

atonal@telusplanet.net atonal@telusplanet.net
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 21:25:28 -0600

	Lotsa talk about Dampp-Chasers lately...

	Today's experience was with installing one of the new kits on a
7' Baldwin. By new, I mean one of the G5PS systems with the new
light panel (nice) and the hard-wired humidistat (not nice at all).

	Problem #1 Because all the components of this new design are
wired to the humidistat (except the humidifier and de-humidifier
plugs) I couldn't mount my components and then route the cable, a
system that has worked well on my numerous DC installs in the
past. Compounding this problem was the fact that  the posts on 7'
Baldwins are approximately 1" from the soundboard and 1/4" from
the ribs, I had to snake the light panel along the soundboard, over
two posts, all while following two soundboard ribs to get to a
location that would allow the wire to be routed properly. More fun
ensued when I wanted to mount the humidistat in a different area
than the humidifier. Because the low water sensor is wired to the
humidistat, and the humidistat is far to big to squeeze between the
aforementioned gap between the posts and soundboard, I had no
choice but to remove the sensor from the tank, with the wingnut
fastener, it is no big deal, but was flummoxed to find that the screw
fastener on the sensor also would not fit between the board and
posts... it made the sensor 1 1/4" in it's narrowest dimension.
Displaying more anger than a seasoned tech should, I grabbed my
trusty Sears Craftsman sidecutters and sheared off 1/4 inch from
the screw, which now fit between the board and post. Re-attaching
the sensor also proved a bit tricky, as the short cable meant that I
had to hold the humidifier tank up with one hand, and using my
second and third hands, re-attach the wingnut on the screw, while
holding the sensor in place, and then hang the tank on the support
bars, previously installed.
	Problem # 2 This doesn't seem like a big deal, but it proved to
be problematic, nonetheless. When I hang the support bars for the
humidifier tank, I use the Mylar moisture shield as a guide to hold
the bars in place before driving in the screws on the brackets. I was
chagrined to find that the holes cut into the shield for the bars was
now a tiny hole, that barely fit around the thin metal bars, but
caused the shield to fan out flat no matter where I moved the rods
to. Out came my micro-tip scissors and the holes were enlarged to
the old 1/2" or so dimension, allowing the rods some movement,
and not causing the shield to bunch up.

	So, what should have been a routine, 1/2 hr or so install turned
into a 1 hr, cursing, neck-straining, knuckle bruising ordeal. At one
point, I heard a sound and looking out from under the soundboard
to see a up-side down pair of feet and legs (at least from _my_
perspective) asking anxiously if I was alright, and if there was
anyting they could do. I realized that backstage at an auditorium is
not the best place to let it be known vocally what you think of the
particular design changes on a given piece of hardware.

	Now, there is a particularly ironic twist to this story. My last
service call of the day was to replace a set of legs on another 7'
Baldwin, of similar vintage to the one mentioned above. Lo and
behold, there is a Dampp-Chaser, but it has been sorta patched
onto the piano, hanging 1/2 a foot or so below the posts, wires all
over the place, filler tube hanging down, but, miracles, actually
functioning. Now, before I start jacking up this unit to get into
serious leg replacement, I grit my teeth for another ordeal and
decide to install the components where they should be, and
hopefully save a bucket or so of H20 landing on my feet. However,
this unit is a couple of years old, and has _oh yes oh yes oh yes_
Plugs! as in plugs for the water light and sensor. I had that sucker
off the piano and re-installed in 20 minutes... chortling each time I
route a cable along the tight soundboard/post gap and pop it home
into the already mounted humidistat. Worked like a hot damn.

I don't blame Baldwin 7' grands for tight Dampp-Chaser
arrangements, in fact, there are handy cross-bracing posts for
attaching humidistats, cable, filler tubes, all out of sight from
normal viewing of the piano. The real monster installations are the
tiny grands with no posts whatsoever... you have to suspend the
components with pure mind-power. I don't blame Dampp-Chasers
in general, I've worked with enough over the years that their merits
speak for themselves in reduced humidity-related service work. I
just miss my plugs...sigh.

'Night all

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG