Dampchaser Corner-cutter

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 22:54:36

At 09:31 PM 9/26/98 -0400, you wrote:
>"Colorado is too steadily dry to need to add water."
>
>Susan, will you please pass that one by me again?
>                        Newton

Hi, Newton

My other post should have clarified this seeming contradiction. Personally
I don't like ever _adding_ water to an instrument, and I think that the
only time it is justified is in climates like the southeast or midwest,
where the summers are both hot and terribly humid. Since they are so hot,
there is no way (except a lot of air conditioning) to keep the excessive
water out of the pianos. I think it is not the _being_ dry that harms
pianos, but the _becoming_ dry when the piano has been wet. So, since
Colorado is almost always pretty dry, pianos get safely dry and stay that
way. No rust, no failed glue joints, no mildew, fewer vermin, almost no
verdigris, less hardened felt, no fusty odors, no compression ridges and
cracks, good tuning stability from one season to the next, etc. etc. etc.
This assumes, of course, that the piano hasn't been damaged by excessive
humidity already before it was brought into the dry climate, and that no
one uses the infamous swamp cooler around it, or leaves it in a damp
basement, etc.

So, why put water in, and risk all that stuff?

Just my take on it ....

Susanspoiledbywesternclimates

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651