SAT RCT

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 23:34:10 -0600

Hi David,

At 09:09 PM 9/26/98 +0000, you wrote:
>I don't think anyone doubts that the RCT has more bells and
>whistles than the SAT...
>
>Comments following...
>
>> I am glad that the good Dr. has improved his product. It was quite
>> venerable and of course the microprocessor in the SAT and SAT2 cost the
>> princely sum of less than $1.00. (remember this chip was in the commodore
>> 64 and the Apple 2C)
>
>Come on Don, it took a hell of lot more than a $1.00 chip to
>make the SAT

Yes it took great brillance. But as time went on the parts became cheaper
and cheaper. Just look at any computer hardware! The SAT prices didn't drop
as it was a specialty item.

>> Might I ask if it can display the tuning it generates before you use
>> it?
>
>How many technicians use that feature?  Can you change the
>display on the fly if you "see" something you don't like.

It is possible to use the graphic equalizer function to custom design a
tuning if there is *something* you don't like. I always have a peek at the
graph first just to see if it is within normal parameters.

>What has seeing got to do with it?

With any SAT or SOT you must first tune the note then listen to it. If you
don't like it then you can with the new SatIII adjust it.--Seems to me you
might as well just use the SAT for the temperament and then tune aurally.

>> Does it do redundant sampling when calculating a tuning to make sure the
>> note was correctly recorded?
>
>I don't think so...is this really important?

Yes because depending on how you strike the note you can change the
inharmonicity a fair bit.

>> Does it warn you if a sample is invalid?
>
>What does invalid mean?  It didn't sample it correctly?

Yes

>> Might I ask if it has essential unlimited storage for tunings?
>
>I don't need it...who does?  I use FAC and write my numbers on
>the piano plate in pencil which I enter at the next service.  I
>use 1 page on my SAT II.

Some time check and see how those fac numbers change from season to
season...or even day to day.

>> Might I ask if it can vary pitch correction compensations between 9% to 45%
>> Does it all you to specify where the strings change from wound to unwound
>> and automatically switch to a higher over pull percentage?
>
>Do I need too have this capability?

Yes, if you want to do pitch corrections with extreme accuracy.

>> If your SAT fails can you borrow a friends laptop computer and load the
>> software and continue to work at the kind of comfort level you wish, or do
>> you need to have a backup SAT (as I did for years)?
>
>I can borrow friends SAT if that happens and it has and I don't
>have to install the program.

And what, may I ask, is a non-tuner doing with a SAT? I have many friends
with multimedia laptops. But only competitors with *a* SAT. It is great
when you have a tuning friend who can back you up. But if your friend is
busy using his SAT he is extremely unlikely to be willing to loan it to
you. And yes, I have loaned out my SATII on several occaisons but only
because I *had* a back up machine. And of course before the SAT there was
the SOT of which I had 2.

>> Can a SAT user download tunings over the internet from another SAT owner
>> without the use of a midi box and computer?
>
>Does anyone really do that?

I have done so, and on more than one occaison.

Most of us (well, I guess everyone on this list) have a computer. A laptop
gives us a backup for our data (customer files, etc.) A SAT is a wonderful
piece of equipment. But it doesn't save my bacon if my desktop machine's
hard drive just happens to fail. Remember! There are *only* 2 kinds of
computer users. Those who have had a hard disk crash, and those who are
waiting for their first crash!

Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
drose@dlcwest.com