Geez! Enough already (SAT-RCT-BSOAS)

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 11:40:12 EDT

Et Al;
 Particularly............ staunch advocates of one screwdriver over another
:-)
 The reason there are so many different screwdrivers on the market is that
there are so many screws loose............and the reason there is this
discussion on virtues of one ETD  vis a vis another ETD 'may' be the same.
  The conversation is quite germane to which device fits which personality,
and operational parameters best, and since the individual sets these
recognition points there is no end of disagreements possible. However since
the end product is the important focus, or should be, how that is arrived at
is not important at all.  The only important thing is that it "is"
arrived/obtained...and the end product is a good sounding piano vis a vis
tuning............isn't it?

  Well if that is the desired result, then who gives a big rats how it was
achieved?  I don't care, your customer doesn't care, and you shouldn't care
either.

  If you find a screwdriver that suits your needs, desires, abilities (or lack
thereof), pocketbook, and frustration of maintenance  levels then by all means
use it.
  The SAT, in all it's iterations, is a fine screwdriver, as is the RCT.
They each have their good points and their bad points and the mere
availability of 'more' features does not make one better than the other if
those features are not used............... Now it seems to me that if all the
features available with each of these thingees were used, with each piano
tuned, that the time spent with each piano tuning would be appreciably
extended.............it further seems to me that this in and of itself seems
counterproductive to the reason an ETD was purchased to begin with, i.e.,
faster more acurate tunings.

  The use of wetware will stop all this nonsense of "mine is bigger than
yours" vis a vis features that are never, or seldom, used on either device.
Wetware is what we should use to check whether these dillys have done their
job anyway and wetware is what should temper this discussion vis a vis ETDs.

  Besides, wetware can be reprogrammed without using UPS or FEDEX or MIDI or
Spreadsheets, may be borrowed with a simple phone call, can be replenished
with a cup of coffe and a "twinkie", is never left at home, has endless
storage capacity, and has infinite varities of programs available to it.

  By all means use your new screwdriver, applaud it, and pride yourself on
having the wisdom to select one which suits your needs.  But I hardly think it
needfully constructive to denigrate anothers screwdriver because perhaps they
have different loose screws than you :-).
Just my view.
Jim Bryant (FL)
"change can relate to progress as playing your best relates to winning"
Faintly Dull