SAT II Anybody? Aprentice Piano Tuner

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:10:27 -0500 (CDT)

Jazz??,

   Several people have mentioned joining the PTG, going to seminars, etc.
I don't know where in Texas you live, but let me put in a plug here. On
Oct. 16-18 the Texas State Association Seminar is happening here in
Houston.
   Besides the more advanced types of classes, which you might or might not
be interested in yet, or be ready for, there are also several P.A.C.E.
classes which would probably be of help to you. These are:

Basics of Tuning
Preparing for Written Exam
Grand Regulation
Vertical Regulation
Repairs, including: flange rebushing, key rebushing, stringing procedures,
hammer shank replacement, string splicing and reshaping hammers.

There are also several mini-technicals which might be of value to you:
Troubleshooting the Home Piano
Loose Tuning pins, A New Solution
Buttskin Replacement
Replacing Broken Damper Rod Hooks
and several others.

   There are also quite a few other classes not mentioned, but this should
give you an idea of what would be available. If you'd like a complete
listing, I'll be happy to send that to you, along with information you
would need to register, etc. Besides the classes available, the
opportunities to "pick the brains" of some very fine technicians is almost
as invaluable as the classes themselves.
   If you're really serious about becoming a piano technician, this is
something you should seriously consider, if at all possible.

Avery

>HOWEVER,
>When I get down to the low bass notes I am not sure what I should be listening
>for .
>I was hoping maybe you could e mail me some information.
>
>Even though I dont do the most precise tuning on it ,
> The people havent the foggiest even when it IS out of tune .
>I guess I wanted to get a device so that i could be more precise on other
>people pianos when I started tuning.
>Also to check myself and maybe use the computer to learn more aurally.
>
>There are no Aural teachers around here.
>When you tune aurally Do you start with middle C or with A4?
>I do the temperment F3 to F4 so I start with middle C.
>
>Any suggestions on how I can become a better aural tuner?
>How much does it cost to take the PTG test??
>Where can I do it ?
>Would I have to travel far?
>I am in Tx
>
>Any comments would be greatly Aprreciated gentlemen of the Gulid.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893