SAT, RCT and Concert Tuning...

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:13:46 EDT

<< Dear List:

 There has been quite a few messages regarding the SAT and the RCT.  To be
 quite honest, I don't even know what they are.  (Since I tune aurally)

 Could someone fill me in on:

 1. What is the SAT?  Do you need a laptop?  How much do they cost?

A SAT is a Sanderson Accutuner. It cost 1400 or 1600, depending which model
you get, and no, you no not need a lap top computer.

 2. What is the RCT?  Do you need a laptop?  How much do they cost?

A RCT is a Reyburn Cyber Tuner. Yes you do need a lap top computer, and there
are several programs. I don't know the exact cost, but I am sure someone will
answer that question.

 3.  For you tuners who have tuned aurally - which method do you prefer
 between aural tuning and using the SAT or RCT?

One of the primary reasons there has been so much interest in the SAT or the
RCT, is that it takes the strss out of tuning. Before I I began using the SAT
about 3 years ago, I was always mentally tired, especially during the busy
fall season. Once I started unsing the SAT, tuning became less stressfull, and
not so tiring. The machine does 95% of the work for you. The final 5% is the
fine tuning of the unisons and intervals.

 4. ALSO:  about concert tuning - someone made a comment about "bringing a
 fork, hammer, two mutes and felt and call that a concert tuning" in a
 jokingly manner.  What does a concert tuning employ?

I don't know who made that comment, but there are some tuners out there who
call themselves "concert tuners" just because they have a fork, a hammer,
etc., and they think that is all that is required. There is much more to being
a concert tuner than that.

 Jay

Willem Blees