SAT, RCT and Concert Tuning...

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:53:43 -0700 (MST)

HI Jay:

I will give answers interspersed among your questions. We sometimes forget
that information which has been quite extensively covered previously may
not appear so for one who has joined the list only recently.

On Sun, 28 Sep 2098, Jay/Deb Mercier wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> There has been quite a few messages regarding the SAT and the RCT.  To be
> quite honest, I don't even know what they are.  (Since I tune aurally)
>
> Could someone fill me in on:
>
> 1. What is the SAT?  Do you need a laptop?  How much do they cost?

SAT is abbreviation for Sanderson AccuTuner. Version III is the most recent
version, just now being slowly released. It is a standalone dedicated
machine to use in piano tuning. The SAT I costs $1300, SAT II is $1450,
SAT III is $1600. No laptop is needed

> 2. What is the RCT?  Do you need a laptop?  How much do they cost?

RCT stands for Reyburn Cyber Tuner. This is a software program dedicated to
piano tuning primarily. Using a laptop with it is the most practical way.
Its cost is $895 including the large library of precalculated and used
tuning records. They also have some computers for sale in which they will
install the software for you ready to run.

> 3.  For you tuners who have tuned aurally - which method do you prefer
> between aural tuning and using the SAT or RCT?

This subject has been dealt with quite extensively in the past emails. You
can get someone to help you use the archives to dig up these responses. The
Piano Technicians Journal has had articles about the machines. I would look
up the March thru July issues for the year '98.

> 4. ALSO:  about concert tuning - someone made a comment about "bringing a
> fork, hammer, two mutes and felt and call that a concert tuning" in a
> jokingly manner.  What does a concert tuning employ?
>
> Jay

I believe it was Susan who mentioned the bare essentials for tuning for a
Concert. She is a very good aural (only) tuner. I have heard recordings of
her tunings. The concert tunings require our very best efforts because they
will be on display before very discerning audiences often. Particular
attention is given to stability to avoid embarrassment for the attending
tuner.

A third electronic tuning device, the TuneLab also requires a laptop. If you
have a laptop, you can download the software according to other recent posts
on this list.

Jim Coleman, Sr.