Sticking centers again

A.T. de Pater a10pater@xs4all.nl
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 01:57:24 +0200

Dear list,

I am still wondering about this alcohol/water method for centerpins. I did
try it, on one flange only, but it didn't work. Actually, I didn't expect it
would, because of what I understood of the story of a man from Renner,
Stuttgart. He told us, (so I thought) the alcohol/water solution works on
bushings which have a graphite layer. In a humid climate, the graphite
curdles, which results in a tight centerpin bushing. The alcohol solves and
spreads the graphite again.
I can't believe all bushings in the US have graphite layers, so my questions
are: did I mistunderstand this story completely or does it work in a
different way? What about this shrinking business? I can't remember the
Rennerman said anything about that. But perhaps I forgot.

Thanks in advance,

Albertien de Pater, piano technician/tuner
Amsterdam, Holland