Bass Tuning

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:54:27 -0400

Dear Elian Elian Elian Elian,

I thought you sent all those repetition(s) just to emphasize your
interest in bass tuning.

Ok, here go some of the other bass test.

I use the procedure I outlined earlier all the way down to the first
notes.  By listening carefully the clues are there, on most pianos.

True there are some pianos that are so badly scaled that the harmonics
we need to hear can be buried or inaudible.

I often listen to double octaves, to see that they are as near pure as
possible.

I mentioned descending tenths earlier.  I like to use descending double
octaves and a third or 17ths.  They can be heard all the way to the
bottom if the tenths cannot.

Two octaves and a seventh has a nice beat that can be follow all the way
down.  Here you are looking for a descending beat as well.

The ultimate and final test is the sound of the single octave.  These
tests can get you close but you need to finally use your ears and
listen.

There are two or three other tests, but I have found them far less
useful so I don't even remember them.

Thanks for asking, Elian.

                    Newton
                    nhunt@jagat.com