Sticking centers again

A.T. de Pater a10pater@xs4all.nl
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 02:01:48 +0200

At 09:47 PM 9/28/98 EDT, you wrote:

>In a message dated 9/28/98 7:57:26 PM, a10pater@xs4all.nl wrote:
>
><<"I understood of the story of a man from Renner,
>Stuttgart. He told us, (so I thought) the alcohol/water solution works on
>bushings which have a graphite layer. In a humid climate, the graphite
>curdles, which results in a tight centerpin bushing. The alcohol solves and
>spreads the graphite again.">>
>
>Albertien;
> With all due respect to the 'Man from Stuttgart', (hmm.. sounds like a good
>movie title :-),  graphite does not "curdle" and it is 'not' soluble in
>alcohol or water nor does graphite lend itself to suspension in alcohol/water.
>
>  Graphite is often mixed with a 'binder' which is often earth/clay based
>which of course is much more likely to be soluble in water/alcohol, or at
>least suspended in water/alcohol.

I searched the archives and read the discuscussion about this subject. So,
anyhow, if the graphite itself doesn't curdle and is not soluble in alcohol
or water, perhaps the mixture with the secret binder does and ís. They do
sell this stuff in a bottle which is definitive on alcohol basis, don't
they? (I assume that is what you call DAG154?)

I also found the notes of the lecture of the 'Renner man'. I quote (and I
hope that is not illegal): "Vor dem Einziehen des Tuchstreifens in die
Kapselbohrungen wird die Innenseite des Tuches graphitiert (Lauffläche).
Dies geschieht mit einer Graphitmine, deren besondere Zusammensetzung einen
wartungs- und nebengeräuschfreien Achsgang garantiert."

Help. My german is not very good, but now I understand they don't use a
fluid, but a solid kind of graphite. And that you don't have to worry about
problems like sticking centers. When we díd complain about sticking centers
because of our sea climate, he told us about the curdling and the treatment.
I hope you can follow me still.

Later on in the notes he discribes The Treatment. The tighter the centerpin,
the more alcohol. For example in a hamer flange of a grand, you take 5%
alcohol, 95% water. With a damper or a whippen, you take 70/30%.

It is not explained why these percentages are used. Does anybody know?
Thank you very much for enlightening me on the shrinking business. I will do
some more experiments, but I fear most of the times it will be like it
always was: start repinning again. Pffft.

Albertien de Pater
Amsterdam, Holland