Another TUNE-OFF

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 08:47:12 -0700 (MST)

Hi Phil:

I think it would be good to have a tuneoff using spinets. I also think
it would be good to have our tuning test on some good clean consoles or
small uprights. We could accomplish the same results with a lot less
expense in the exam room.

Your idea of doing the Tuneoffs on spinets would help in our analysis of
what is the best way to tune one of those lovely (financial pleasures)
instruments. There are already known some good approaches to use with
spinets using the SAT. Perhaps at the Kansas City convention we can get
together to share some of our experiences tuning these little beasties.
There are some general principles which can be followed from just looking
at the V-Bar shape and whether or not there are wound strings on the
Tenor bridge and just where the scale break is.

I find that I get a better tuning using the machine than just tuning by
ear when I utilize all the information available visually.

Jim Coleman, Sr.