Auto-stepping test

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:55:05 -0700 (MST)

Here is a note which I sent to Wim last night. He suggested others might
be interested in it.

<< Hi Wim:

 I just did a test between the RCT 2300 auto note switcher and the SAT III
 auto-stepping. I started at A0 playing next note as soon as the machine
 triggered to the its next note. Here are the results as I did the test.

 RCT  1 minute 35 seconds with 4 stops to manually move to the next note.
 SAT  1 minute 30 seconds with 3 stops to manually move to the next note.

 That is close to an average of 1 second per note. 90 seconds, 87 notes
 I suppose I could do both of them a little faster with practice. In some
 areas the auto-stepping takes place faster than in others. The 3 SAT notes
 which had to be manually moved were the top 3 notes. The 4 RCT notes which
 had to be moved manually were more spread out. I actually did another test
 in which I could not get the RCT to move to the next note for 3 notes
 starting at C1 after moving the computer around to many different
 positions. Of course in cases like this it is wiser to just reach up and
 hit the up arrow or space key.

 Still, all in all, the auto-stepping is a great feature on both machines.
 For SAT users, there is still the foot switch or thumb switch available.
 I don't know if there is any such thing for the RCT for those who wish to
 move from note to note at meteor speed (assuming that meteors do not exceed
 the speed of light or electric current).

 Jim Coleman, Sr.