Hide Glue

Ellsworth HOOD@uwplatt.edu
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 19:11:27 -0600 (CST)

I've tried heating hide glue to melt it and save soaking time too, and most of
the time it retains little lumps of unmeltrd glue.  I think they recommend
soaking until it swells, which is not necessarily overnight, before the
heating, and then it will melt out without having to heat it extra long to be
sure all the lumps are gone - staying hot any longer than necessary is to be
avoided when you can, as it messes up grab time etc, tho you'd have to really
cook it a while to hurt strength.  Also, I think you know better the water-glue
ratio when it's pre-soaked.  I use a lot of hide glue veneering fortepiano
cases, and have started to use it for all case glueing since it does not creep
under stress, and yellow glue does, in spite of what the mfgrs tell you.
	Margaret Hood
	Fortepiano maker
	Platteville, Wis.