Spinet Advice

JCCORDOGAN@AOL.COM JCCORDOGAN@AOL.COM
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:21:34 EDT

The following Q and A will soon be posted on our web site at
"www.chicagopianos.com" ( <A HREF="http://www.chicagopianos.com/">Cordogan's
Web Site
</A> ) under the
link called "FAQ's About Buying and Selling".  Once it is posted
-- if you like what you see -- consider bookmarking it and refer
people to it.  It may help save time responding to such common
inquiries, however innocent yet time-consuming they may be.

Our web site is very new so there really isn't much on it now,
but a lot of useful (read unbiased) info to consumers will soon follow.
Hope this helps:

"How Much Is My Piano Worth?"

Get it appraised.  It is an impossibility to begin to discuss even a
"ballpark" range for most used pianos without it being dismantled
and in front of the person being asked to evaluate it.  Pianos can
contain upwards of 12,000 parts, 10,000 of which need to move
within their neighboring parts — often with tolerances of <1/1000th
of an inch... for decades!

You can describe how beautiful the case is... its magnificent history
in your family and how well it was cared for... how much of an antique
it is (almost always a detriment)... but neither you, nor I, can tell in an
e-mail or a telephone exchange if the piano has developed a cracked
pin block, tuning instability, bridge cracks or other countless internal
atrocities — capable of inflicting thousands of dollars in repair bills.

It is also for these reasons that buying a piano privately can be so
dangerous.  It is more often the case that the seller simply doesn't
really know the condition of their piano and what problems it has
developed over the years  Find a reputable technician in your area who
is qualified in appraising pianos and employ his/her services.  Appraisals
can range between $60-100 U.S. dollars and will help determine value
from any one of the following perspectives:

		selling it to a friend or relative
		selling it on the open market
		replacing it with a current, identical make/model
		replacing it with a current, similar make/model
		trading it in
		donating it to a non-for-profit institution
		restoring it / assessing damage
		insuring it

So while I enjoy chatting with folks about piano-related topics, please
refrain from e-mailing us asking how much your piano is worth.

Copyright 1999
Cordogan's Piano Gallery

John Cordogan

Cordogan's Pianoland and Cordogan's Piano Gallery
Illinois' Largest Piano Store
"More pianos than you can shake a leveling stick at"
Chicagoland's Kawai, Sauter, Estonia and Kemble dealer