Refinishing fiasco (story)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Thu, 08 Apr 1999 06:09:28 -0400

Too late to call April Fools! The phone call was real David. I assume the
lady's story was too. I enjoy taking stories or other material and fleshing
them out for clarity, readability, or entertainment purposes (like making
you the west coast travel paper distributor). As for coming up with the
stuff from scratch, I have no talent for that.

BTW, the reason I "experienced" this situation before was from the school
district. As told to me, a temporary shop assistant was coming up for
evaluation to determine whether he would become a full-time employee. He
came up with his own form of "job security" -- completely dissecting a
couple of grands (same idea as the other story). The difference being, he
didn't sort or label anything, instead put various parts into different
containers around the shop. The idea was novel -- he'd be the only person
who knew what components went with which piano, and the locations on/in the
piano(s). He failed to consider that there were six other full-time
technicians who could figure out the puzzle. The man was fired -- no
evaluation, and before I became employed there. I arrived in time to see
the results of his efforts, so that qualified as prior experience.

At 11:48 PM 4/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Jim,
>
>Is this for real?
>
>David Ilvedson, RPT
>(West Coast Source for pre-gummed traveling paper)

[cut]
>> The call was from a prospective client. The husband had decided to refinish
>> the piano himself. We all know the routine, but this one has a new twist.
[and cut]

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
"Linux, WinNT and MS-DOS. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"