Trashing Kimball

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 08:50:59 EDT

 <<regulation is not something I
 >identify vertical Kimballs as being subjected to in any great detail, at
the
 >factory. >>

I suppose this means, in your exalted opinion, that *all* Kimballs left the
factory without being regulated?

I worked for a Kimball dealer for many years and never saw one piano that had
not been regulated.  I was trained at the factory where I benefited
immeasurably from the enormous amount of knowledge and skill that I learned
there and still make use of today.  In fact, I learned there some of my most
valuable *regulating* techniques I know  by watching factory regulators
*regulating* and by practicing those skills myself under the supervision of
helpful and encouraging instructors.

This is the kind of remark that belongs on Ralph's Loser List, not here.
There, you can receive all of the support you need and want for trashing the
reputation of a piano which you never learned how to handle.  You will be
seen as a person of great wisdom and judgment for such a statement there but
here, such a remark will be seen for what it is, something which wastes
"bandwidth", as they say and drags down the dignity of the entire piano
service industry.

To all those who would gladly accept work on a Kimball in order to earn a
living:  It is a fine example of American craftsmanship on which you can
practice your most basic skills, earn good money and have a happy and
grateful customer.  Indeed, there are some aspects of the way Kimball pianos
were constructed that make them some of the most resilient to harsh treatment
and conditions of any pianos ever built.

Whenever you see someone on this List declare that *all* pianos of any given
type or manufacturer are beneath the dignity of a piano technician to work
on, delete that person's remarks and remind yourself that the only reason to
make such remarks is to cover up a profound sense of insecurity, ignorance
and lack of skill.

 That person is trying to win your admiration by making it seem that he/she
is so highly skilled, gifted and privileged, that it would be beneath his/her
dignity to *stoop* to the level on which *you* work hard and *earn* your
living.  He/she wants to give you the impression that he/she only has time to
work on the very finest pianos.  But,  if ordinary tasks on ordinary pianos
are too difficult, you can be sure that person can't handle those procedures
on a fine instrument either.  The truth is that person cannot do the work and
wishes life presented easier hurdles.

Then, proceed down the List until you find the proper response to the issue
at hand.  Eventually, that person will either leave the List or stop writing
material that is contrary to your way of life.

Sincerely,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin