O.K. how about another one!?!

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 21:20:22 EDT

<<"Rojer and list,
    It seems that most of you are leaning towards repining flanges instead of
parts replacement. Is this in consideration of cost? Does one lean this way
even when the customer is fairly convinced in his own mind that replacement is
the way to go? Again I say that if repined the problem will be fixed but for
how long? Do new parts have the silicone oil? thanks again for all your help!!
                                                Greg">>

Greg;
 Roger is gonna get you for that :-)
 'If' the problem is the plating flaking/scoring, I would also lean toward
new parts or repinning/broaching. I haven't had this "flaking" happen on a
Yamaha but on several other brands I have seen it.
  Rebushing seems like the same trade off as  the alcohol/naptha/whatever
treatment, in that 'if' whatever caused the problem is in the flange wood
itself you 'might' just be putting off, for 20 more years :-), the problem's
recurrence.

 I 'think' I would first inspect several pins to determine if the
flaking/scoring is happening...if so than the repinning/broaching......if not
then the alcohol, or whatever, treatment and lastly new parts I don't think
the time involved in rebushing would be economical for you or the
customer..... Of course I may be just a slooowww rebusher :-)

  In the final anaylisis if the customer wants new parts, or would be
happiest with new parts.............put em on, it might be the cheapest thing
for both of you in the long run :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)