Cyber ears

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:02:11 +0200

Jos wrote:

> Richard Brekne wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jos. was just wondering if you managed to dig up anything yet. etc etc etc
>
> Hi!
>
>  Maybe this or next week-end I'll make a complete measurement of my august forster,
I've
> been wanting to do that for some time.
>
> Maybe it would be a good idea for Robert Scott, to add some test
> inharmonicity measurements on his site, so that a new user of tunelab can try the
> program, without having to perform a complete measurement. It would anyhow be nice,
to be
> able to compare your own measurements with those of others.
>
> Josefus.
>
> --
> J.G.A. van Riswick, Eindhoven University of Technology,
> Eindhoven, The Netherlands. mailto://j.g.a.v.riswick@tue.nl
> mailto://josvanr@xs4all.nl http://www.dse.nl/~josvanr

I am looking forward to it. :) I couldnt resist attempting to play
around a bit with the partial measurement found in the june 1978 issue
of the PTG journal. So I downloaded a shareware wave generator
(wavgen21.zip) and pluged in some of the values for partials measured
for c3,c4,c5. The first, second, fourth and eight partials for c3, same
for c4 and the first second, and fourth for c5. The result was
interesting enough. The beat rates come
through really loud and pretty clean as each frequency (11 in all) are
given the same volume. The resulting "octave" of course sounds nothing
like a piano yet the beat rates are accurate enough. The really
obnoxious high beating is the fourth partial of c5 against the eight of
c4. It is beating narrow. The 4:8 and the 3:6 (the 3:6 is not included
in the wav file) get narrower as one progresses (with single octaves) up
the keyboard, the 2:4 remain stable at a half a bps and the 1:2 become
progressively wider, but very slowly so. I wonder how this continues
upwards past the data I have. (and what goes on lower for that matter).
Anyone interested in the resulting .wav file can just drop me a line at
richardb@c2i.net I find it curious that the 4:8 and 3:6 behave in the
opposite direction as I would have imagined. Any explanations out
there?? I believe our Canadian friend mentioned para-inharmonicity but I
havent found out anything yet on that.

Richard Brekne