when the piano isn't played

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 07:41:15 -0500

At 06:44 AM 12/01/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>Several times recently when I called clients about scheduling the
>tuning, they responded that it's no longer being played.  Then they say
>something like, "I heard it's bad for the piano to not be played.  Is
>that true?"
>
>Well, I've heard that, too, but I really don't know if it's true, or why
>it would be.  Can someone answer the question?  Thanks.
>
>Clyde Hollinger

If a piano is not played, the hammers do not wear and require filing or
replacing.
Job security.

An action sitting unplayed can become sluggish. One needs to keep the centers
moving to limber them up. Grass doesn't grow on a busy street.

I've also heard from a few musicians that an unplayed piano will sound out
of tune but after a while it is "played back in tune". I don't know if this is
possible not having experienced it but I think the ear just becomes attuned
to the piano.

Regards,

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net