when the piano isn't played

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 11:38:37 -0800

I've noticed octaves of the piano that are in some
cases not used at all(top octave-bottom octave)
more often have actions centers stiffen up, more slow keys.

Violins need to be played or they reportedly "go dead".
Apparently it is good for the wood to exercise & vibrate.
They have the violins at Smithsonian taken out and played
periodically for the purpose of preserving them.

Is this true if a piano soundboard. Does it "free up"
its sound with use?

                                     Interesting question.

                                     Dave Renaud
                                     RPT