Steinway B plate/scale modifications

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:04:43 -0500

List,

I was called to work on a relatively new Steinway B yesterday.  The =
serial number on the piano is 540827.  The customer's main complaint was =
that notes in the F5-F6 octave sounded wooden.  The complaint was valid. =
 Does anyone know at what serial number Steinway introduced the modified =
plate/scale in recent B models?  I seem to recall that the modified =
plates have a B2 embossed on them.  Is my recollection correct?  If not, =
how can I tell what version of scale I'm dealing with?

Has anyone had any luck with a fix for this problem other than adjusting =
the hammer line in the offending area?  I tried a little voicing, both =
up and down, swapping hammers from different sections, a totally =
different trial hammer, checked regulation carefully, checked the =
keybed, etc., etc.  The problem really is the scale.  Any suggestions =
would be appreciated.

Frank Weston