when the piano isn't played

VOCE88@AOL.COM VOCE88@AOL.COM
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:18:53 EST

In a message dated 12/1/1999 1:39:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu writes:

>  Hello,
>       Pianos do go alittle dead when not used, but I think it's mostly
> related
>  to the hammers.  Dust collecting in the string grooves affects tone the way
>  sugar coating does.  I suspect also that shanks warp in various contortions
>  with humidity changes and that playing the piano keeps the string grooves
>  moving with the hammers.
>  -Mike Jorgensen

That makes sense. Also, the action itself may atrophy or seize after not
moving for some years. I have experienced this on used consoles that come in
for regulation/reconditioning. Nothing a little reg. and lube doesn't clear
right up.

Richard Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila., Pa.