What would you do?

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 20:01:31 +0100

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 12/01/1999 3:03:50 AM, Richard B. wrote:
>
> <<this is the same thing
> UL folks have to deal with..>>
>
> Richard;
>  No it ain't the same at all.
> "Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) is an independent, not-for-profit
> product safety testing and certification organization."

Who says anything about making a buck ?? It need not cost anything either. Jim...
there is always a solution, and a good one at that, if one first looks hard
enough for it.

>   So other than the normal individual consumer role the employees of UL have
> no stake in test results.

We need have no other stake in the results then UL does, that of putting positive
pressure on the market. If UL didnt have at least that stake, there would be
absolutely no point to their activities.

> Whereas;
>   PTG is: "promote the highest professional, ethical, and economic standards
> for its members"'

It is no real stretch to include as relevant the present proposal. In fact it
rhymes extremely well with these stated goals, unless one interprets them in a
singularly self serving manner. How does influencing the market as directly as
possible in as a positve but forcefull manner conflict with these goals ??

>   So PTG deals with people and not with product, and the product this thread
> would have us "certify" or "approve" is the 'only' thing we are working with.
> Not a basis for disinterested third party status I would say.

Nor does there need to be prejudiced. This can be done Jim, thats not the
question. The question is more whether or not there is the will to such a thing.
I have absolutely no doubt that with the expertise and widsom found amoung our
members and board such a will would result in a fair and effective proceedure for
approval of instruments. There are several approaches that could be taken. Even a
webside with reviews of different instruments from an unbiased criterera set
would make waves.

> Hardly the same at all. Oh PTG 'could' issue stamps of approval, but by the
> same token there is enough expertise in PTG where we 'could' build an
> airplane, launch rockets, or even construct a nuclear device...does that mean
> we should?

And your point is ??? Airplanes and rockets are to be sure irrelevant, and the
argumentation is too weak to avoid dying upon its own unreasonableness.
Reviewing, rating, or somehow establishing approval criteria for the exact thing
we live and work for is right up our alley.

> <<"I suggest capitalism has not been effective in insuring that only decent
> quality
> instruments are produced.">>

It was in response to another argumentation that simply stated that "good ol'
capitalism" was doing a fine job in self regulating our industry. A remark that
could be very successfully refuted given the economic facts. A particularily
anarchistic-like faith in a totally unregulated market. Customers are actually at
the mercy of the salesman and manufactureres and their marketing experts. Perhaps
more then any other big ticket item. Its time there was a competent and ethics
minded counter weight.

>  I am not sure where this remark comes from.

grin.. now you do...

> Jim Bryant (FL)

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.