Baldwin 6000 full size upright

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 21:08:38 -0500

Hi list,

I tuned a full size Baldwin upright (about 1 1/2 years old) on my last =
stop today.  It was an interesting piano.  The tuning pins were a little =
tighter than I would have liked to have had to deal with, but it tuned =
quite nicely.  No problems at the breaks.  No major false string =
problems, not even in the high treble.  The main thing that I noticed =
was that it had a BIG sound.  (It's also a very heavy piano.  There are =
a lot of small grands that don't weigh as much... but that's another =
story.) =20

Does anyone have any input on that big brass weight through the =
soundboard down at the bass bridge?  The bass has a big, rather throaty =
sound, almost resembling an electronic sound.  I've heard a few =
rumblings from time to time about the concept of loading the soundboard =
in the area of the bass bridge, perhaps to change impedance?.  But I was =
hoping that perhaps someone might have a more reasoned idea of the =
science behind this thing.  (Were you involved in designing this thing, =
Del?  If so, I'd be interested in any comments you'd like to share.)

I know I often am critical of some of the best pianos, but I kind of =
like this one.  I know there will likely be a number of people who would =
not like it, and that's ok.

If anyone has a comment, feel free.

Best wishes to all,

Brian Trout