Joining the Throng.. was what would you do?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:52:45 EST

In a message dated 12/3/99 5:51:33 AM Pacific Standard Time, richardb@c2i.net
(Richard Brekne) writes:

<< All in all... they sent me home with encouraging
 words... to come back and try again, but I didnt pass. >>

This is actually a very common experience. It is my understanding that about
half of all first time Exam takers fail.  I did too.  Not all of these are
beginners either. Many of them have been long term professionals.  Examinees
are supposed to be prescreened so that it minimizes the chances of this
happening but it still does. The other side of the coin however is that most
of those who were disappointed but return, sometimes after three or four
times and eventually prevail, become some of PTG's finest.

It is at least as disappointing to the Examiners to have to tell an applicant
that the scores do not pass as it is to hear and accept that statement.  We
all want to hear of successful results.  New RPT's are now given a special
ribbon to proclaim that achievement and are given public recognition at the
Annual Convention, Regional seminars and in the Journal.

The title, RPT alone does not really qualify anyone as an "expert" as such.
A person could be an expert at some particular area of piano technology and
still not be able to pass the Exam.  This has been, in fact one of the
problems with membership classifications that has not been resolved.  Passing
the Exams and earning the title merely indicates a certain set of
demonstrable skills which are considered to represent Minimum Professional
Standards (note the word, *minimum*).  It also implies an acceptance of and
an adherence to professional conduct and standards.

The "politics" that people often mention are really just policy issues that
come up within the membership.  "What will our policy be?"  "Who should be
allowed to determine this policy?", etc.  Naturally, the Registered members
want only those who have taken the trouble to pass these Exams to be able to
vote and determine policy.  There are some however who want any Member to be
able to have a say.  These discussions have little to do with the tuning and
servicing of pianos, however.

The Membership has consistently voted to allow PTG generated information to
be available to non-members and/or the general public.  One of the
controlling factors in this may be that it would not be legal to restrict it
anyway.  Even if it were, people find ways to obtain information regardless
of any such restrictions.  It might as well be made accessible, at higher,
non-member rates, of course.

I somehow doubt that any PTG approved list of pianos and manufacturers will
ever come about.  I wouldn't want to see those darling little Betsy Ross
Spinets left off the list.  I make too much money replacing their plastic
elbows and servicing them as I would any piano of greater perceived
importance and value.  I haven't really seen any of those Chinese pianos but
I am willing to give them the same benefit of the doubt that the public gave
to Yamaha.

Yes, there will be defective pianos which should not be sold and are not
worth servicing and repair but the wholesale condemnation of any brand or
manufacturer is a self defeating position to take.  Any such problems as have
come up on this List should be handled on a case to case basis.  I don't
think we can expect the Pearl River plant to go out of business just because
they made one or a few bad instruments.

Any piano technician or really just anyone who has a vocational interest in
the piano has the right and is welcome to join PTG.  People whose business it
is to tune and service pianos however are the focus of the organization and
are strongly encouraged to develop their skills to the point where they can
pass the Exams.

Although there are some who just barely manage to pass, then relax, most go
on to develop their skills far beyond the point of minimum professional
standards.  One generally becomes an "expert" or "master" at something by
developing a specialty in a particular area.  That designation is never
really official, it is just something that one's colleagues say.  Often it
isn't even said.  It becomes obvious that a certain individual can
demonstrate knowledge and skill in a certain area at the drop of a hat and
can teach a class on the subject and does so over the course of many years.

Once, a professional piano technician told me he was glad he never joined PTG
and went to all of those conventions because by now, he would have been about
$15,000 "poorer".  Unfortunately, I could not convince him of the absolute
futility of his thinking.  Does someone who goes to a university, pays the
tuition and gives up on 4 years of the kind full employment a young person
with no college education can get consider hi/herself "poorer" because of it?
 I think not.

If you are a professional piano technician, PTG needs you, you need PTG and
the public you work for will benefit by your membership and participation.
You should take the Exams for what they are, a challenge.  The Exam score,
results and experience are confidential.  No one will ever broadcast the fact
that you failed if that is the outcome.  No one will ever reveal your scores.
 Only when and if you pass, will that fact be made public and even then, your
scores remain confidential.  If you "pass with flying colors" and/or with all
scores above 90, thus qualifying as an Examiner Trainee, that fact may be
made known too, but only in such a general way.

To paraphrase Franklin Roosevelt, "You have nothing to fear but your own
inhibitions".

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin