What to patent

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 23:55:30 -0600

If I were Del, I would patent his "soundboard springs".   On the other
hand I don't think it could be  manufactured unless a maker was to intall
it as original equipment.  Maybe though you could sell it as a "kit".
	 The idea of springs supporting a soundboard sounds enticing, I do not
think ( imagine) the springs would work as a damper, or not as much as a
wine bottle cork.  That used to be a common (meant both ways) repair for
"flat sb  and to get rid of buzzes long enough for the check to clear. If
Del says he got an improvement using valve springs, that is enough for me
to give it a try. I have an immediate use for them if they will work for a
bass bridge with low bearing. Who knows,  perhaps the springs will act
like the "sound post" (is that the right word?) in violins. ---ric

----------
----------
From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Baldwin 6000 full size upright
Date: Thursday, December 02, 1999 11:21 PM

..  Baldwin calls it a "Tone-Extender."  Mr Conklin was actually able to
get a patent on the device, though I surely don't know how.  Similar ideas
have been used on pianos dating back at least to the late 1800's.  That's
called prior art and it should have precluded the issuance of the patent,
but it didn't.  It would be a pretty tough one to defend, however.

-- ddf