Tuning Acrosonics

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 12:17:23 EST

In a message dated 12/5/99 8:19:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
kswafford@earthlink.net (Kent Swafford) writes:

<< My personal preference when dealing with a
 large difference in inharmonicity at the tenor break is to give up on
 smooth beat rates in the 3rds in favor of smooth beat rates in the 4ths,
 5ths, and octaves. >>

Dear Kent,

With all due respect to you as someone from who I personally have learned a
lot, how do I say it without being inflammatory, condescending, insulting or
just plain irritating?  The above statement suggests that one ignore errors
or variances which can easily result in the piano being tuned in Reverse Well.

Between the two of us, we have made many fine points about ET.  One principle
that I have always believed in regarding ET is that *all* intervals must be
given *equal* consideration.  Your own words here, <<...to give up on smooth
beat rates in the 3rds in favor of ...>> will make your outcome not really be
a true ET.  Granted, the variance may be so slight that it is of no musical
consequence but unless you pay attention to the new beat rates of these 3rds,
you may not realize that you have actually created a kind of pattern which is
actually adverse to the desired musical outcome.

I hear of your idea quite often.  It seems that piano technicians believe
that the tempered sound of 4ths, 5ths and even octaves is unacceptable.  We
all wish we could make all of these perfectly pure.  In the quest to do so,
many people make the error of ignoring the pattern of beating among the 3rds.
 In my opinion, these Rapidly Beating Intervals (RBI) are actually more
important to a good musical sound from the piano than are the Slowly Beating
Intervals (SBI).

The reason is that the RBI's produce the resonance and vibrato-like effect
that we hear from the piano.  In a musical context, slight impurity and/or
inconsistency in the SBI's is virtually imperceptible.  Of course, to the
technician who is *constructing* a temperament and tuning, one string and one
interval at a time, the impure sound of a tempered interval is quite
apparent.  It is easy to argue that 2:1 octaves sound "purer", for example.
And while this kind of octave has its own characteristic and value, it is not
necessarily "better" simply because of the way it is perceived in a certain
context.

Your idea of using a minimally stretched octave when tuning a high
inharmonicity scale on a spinet seems contradictory to logic at first
consideration.  But as I have learned from both you and Virgil Smith RPT
recently, you can give the piano a sweeter, more harmonious sound by doing
so.  So, I think it is a good idea and one which should be tried.  If it
appeals to the technician doing it and the customer, then it is a good
approach to use.

However, deciding <<to give up on smooth beat rates in the 3rds in favor of
4ths, 5ths and octaves>> as you have suggested, without considering the
consequences can end up making the piano sound just as unpleasant as some
other kind of approach such as the ET with pure 5ths which creates harshness
in all RBI's.  You would need to be aware of the Cycle of 5ths and Andreas
Werkmeister's Rules for Well-Tempered Tuning to avoid this error.

If you really do end up with uneven RBI's, you will no longer have ET.  You
may have a Quasi ET or a Victorian style temperament.  There is certainly
nothing wrong with either of those.  If the piano sounds good and so does any
music played on it, then it is good.  To ignore that these variances create
something other than equality merely to avoid the idea that the piano could
only be properly and ethically tuned in ET is frankly self deceiving.  It
gets into the indefensible position that "It is ET if I say it is and if I
mean it to be, any of those little variances don't matter.  No artist or
customer *ever* complained about that.  And by the way, I don't like HT's".

In my experience, such thinking *invariably* leads to a piano tuned in
Reverse Well but of course, the person who has tuned it that way does not and
cannot perceive and recognize that fact.  I completely agree with your
opening statement,  <<These are all _very_ successful pianos so we must be
careful about how we discuss the
tuning of these instruments. >>

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin