Tuning Acrosonics-back

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 21:13:14 EST

In a message dated 12/5/99 4:17:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kswafford@earthlink.net (Kent Swafford) writes:

<< If you wish to turn up your nose at the uneven 3rds in my Acrosonic
 tuning, I guess I could turn up my nose at the 5ths that don't come out
 quite right in Jim Coleman's Acrosonic tuning. But the problem is the
 piano, not the tuning and not the tuning theory>>

Well, I don't know if I would like them or not, that is my point.  If they
are uneven but fit a Well-Tempered Tuning pattern, that is, an alignment
*with* the cycle of 5ths and not against it, I would really like it.  It
would be the best sounding tuning there could possibly be for that kind of
instrument, in my opinion.

But I smell a rat, so to speak.  It's kind of like the buttered side of the
toast always falling to the floor.  It seems that virtually anytime that the
exact RBI speeds are ignored, they fall in exact opposition to the Rules for
Well Tempered Tuning.  I may not always have an explanation as to why, nor am
I really that interested in finding out.  It just happens so darn much I can
hardly believe it myself.  And to me that really does matter a lot.

As I have stated before, I think correctly structured RBI's matter quite a
bit more than the regularity of the tempering of the 4ths & 5ths.  In fact, I
discovered early in my HT studies that the temperaments known as "Irregular"
(meaning different and inconsistently sized 4ths & 5ths) were much more
appealing than those temperaments which were rigidly regular.

By correctly structured RBI's, I mean either strict ET or some kind of an
attempt to be in alignment with the cycle of 5ths.  I like the example of the
Quasi Equal temperament where all notes are in perfect ET except one, the
note C is raised by 1 cent.  This makes the CE 3rd slower and the AbC 3rd
faster.  It is not ET but I would bet my entire fortune that no artist would
ever complain about it.

Doing the opposite however is what I usually find.  Take the same example but
lower the note C by 1 cent.  Still, no one will complain.  It will be
accepted.  But it really still does a great deal of damage to the character
of the music played on it.  If people can accept this kind of error, just
think of their reaction when they hear it as it is really supposed to be.  In
the words of a Country and Western song I like, it is "...a whole lot hotter
and a whole lot sweeter".

 >Your idea of using a minimally stretched octave when tuning a high
 >inharmonicity scale on a spinet seems contradictory to logic at first
 >consideration...>

<<It is interesting that you see minimum stretch in high inharmonicity
 situations as counter-intuitive.>>

Well, ahem, yes, or at least that is what I have consistently learned in PTG
tuning classes and publications.  It was always presented as the reason you
*must* stretch the octaves. Inharmonicity dictates that you *must* make the
octave wider than is theoretical. The very idea of deliberately making the
octave narrow, even if it is not a perceptible or a barely perceptible
amount, would not have occurred to me as ever being correct.

But this also tells me why people who used only a StobeTuner or other ETD
such as the Korg type still can end up with very nice sounding tunings.  Any
of the people I have talked to that tune this way indicate that the ETD is
used primarily for the temperament.  A StobeTuner would produce a slightly
compressed octave on an Acrosonic.  I'll bet those who used these ETD's went
with that and produced a rough version of what you are talking about.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin