Tuning Acrosonics

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Mon, 06 Dec 1999 08:14:50 -0600

Bill, Kent et al:

The beat speed of major 3rds depends entirely on the vagaries of the inharmonicity of the 4th and 5th partials.  When you strive for even progression of major 3rds, you are ignoring the pitch of the fundamental, and tempering for the notes to make the 4th or 5th partial "even".  If you compromise 3rds and even out the 5ths, you are setting the pitch of the note based on lower partials (2nd & 3rd).  Since partials get more irrational (non linear) the higher they are, you are tuning the fundamental based on information from flakier partials.  If we really wanted true ET, we would measure the fundamental of each note in the temperament octave and space them evenly letting the partials fall where they will.  That's not practical, so we compromise the fundamental according to the partial structure a particular piano gives us.  Making a temperament based on even 3rds is one way, making one based on even 5ths is another.  Neither one will give fundamentals with exactly even spacing (because of inharmonicity).  Given the problem of uneven inharmonicity in the scale one compromises to his taste.  I don't see how choosing one method (5ths) over the other (3rds) would cause an inside-out well temperament.

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts