Time to level pins, dress coils...?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 23:40:57 EST

dianepianotuner@hotmail.com writes:

<< so I
 talked them into having me straighten the coils and level the pins.  I
 couldn't figure out what to charge them, but since I was just about to
 string a piano, thought that I would know in a few days.

   Turns out I don't string that way at all, but dress the coils after every
 few pins and level after each section, so don't know how long it will take!
 I would guess about 2-3 hours??  Anyone have any input on this for me?

   Thanks!
   Diane >>

The problem is not with leveling the pins, and tightening the coils. That
shouldn't take more than maybe an hour. (depending on how bad it is, and fast
you work). What is going to take time is the tuning. You will most likely
have to chip the piano, then rough tune it, and then do one or two fine
tunings. The chip and rough tuning can be done in one operation, (presumably
after you have completed the leveling and tightening). But the other two
tunings should be done a week or so apart.

Willem