Xmas tunings

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 21:57:21 -0800

I haven't had to clear off any nativity scenes yet but I've had my share
of situations where the owner just didn't think that anything other than
_playing_ the piano would ever occur: an upright _tightly_ wedged into a
small space so that the top could not be opened (or piano pulled out), a
5-gallon fish aquarium on a tall upright, and who hasn't heard the line,
"Oh, well, can't you just open the front like this" (swings out the
music board of an old upright). The list keeps getting longer (and the
owners keep getting more creative).

My all-time worst encounter with a cerebrally challenged pianist was
when, several years ago, I walked into the living room of a modest house
and was shown to a Yamaha G2. Its lid was open. The reason that the lid
was open was so that all of the plants that were placed on the plate
could get light and have room to grow. I suppose. Being a piano
technician and not much of a gardener, I'm only guessing.

As Dave Barry would say, I'm not making this up. This guy was for real.

Yesssss, I stayed to tune the piano but only out of pity for the
instrument. When I left, I offered him some helpful suggestions (like, a
CFIII could hold more plants). The ingrate hasn't invited me back.

Tom

ps: Marcel touched on another pet peeve: the key-under-the-mat
appointment. The usual snafu is that they _forget_ to put the key under
the mat. Yesterday, I had a tuning where the wife put the key under the
mat but the husband unconsciously locked the deadbolt (which requires a
_different_ key). Ah, well, first time that's happened.

	A voice cackles in Calvin's (F-4 Phantom) radio. "Enemy fighters at two
o'clock!"

	"Roger. What shall I do until then?"

										Bill Watterson

--