Tuning Acrosonics

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 20:49:14 -0600

I too favor fifths in the bass, and have tried Jim Coleman's suggestion of
going with pure fifths down there. That is good for me as I tend to err
sharp on
 short bass strings.
For me the worst sounding interval in a console or spinet bass is the
octave.  As long as the octave + fifth  (12th) sounds better, or at least
not as bad,  and the double octave (15th) sounds OK that's pretty much it.
 The tenths are only guide posts, useful as a double check for "errors",
or possible errors. Well it does get the #5 partial into play.
By listening to all of these intervals,  the #5, 4,3, and 2 partials of
the lower
note are included in the tuning in the attempt to "balanced them out"
Sure, it takes time to test and tweek these intervals but as one old pro
said, "If you spend some time, a lot of these little pianos can sound OK."
---riconsoled