Christmas "overtime" premium?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 05:37:33 EST

Dave writes:
<< The client was insistent that they should get a discount for the
second piano as usual, but I was insistent that I
should not be doing it, but if they must have me I would charge
my regular rate for each, no discounts.
They reluctantly paid, but not without some tension.
 So. In general is it wrong to charge extra for emergency overtime?>>

Greetings,
      If the promoter expects the "usual" fee, then they must provide the
"usual" notice and work conditions, i.e. suitable notice.
     A self-employed person has only themselves to rely on, and their worth
is self-determined.  I think it would be a mistake to let a promoter tell you
what you are worth and a worse mistake for you to believe it.  If you are
confident of your worth, don't compromise yourself just because another is
guilty of poor planning.

>>Would most people walk away, avoiding creating ill will with an extra
charge?<<
    I don't think so, only those that are so fearful of confrontation that
they would do without the income rather than assert themselves in defense of
their price. Paying full price is a lot less troublesome to that promoter
than not having a tuner for the pianos, or having a bad one that could be had
cheap.
    That you were totally booked up indicates that you can generate your own
business, and that certainly isn't any time to shortchange yourself!

<<How do you deal with promoters that order tunings like ordering pizza. >>

   It helps to remind yourself that the promoter is there for the money, if
they order tunings like pizza, sell'em!
Regards,
Ed Foote