Aeolian verticals

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 07:02:51 -0600

List,

I tune several Aeolian-made verticals, such as Mason & Hamlin, Hallet Davis,
Knabe, etc.  One of the major things that gripes me about them all is the
false beats.  I have not taken the time to see if the cause is loose bridge
pins, poor notching, or whatever.  Usually, I just tune thru it very quickly
the best I can.  However, if the notching is acceptable, would it be worth
the money to the customer to repair these pianos to have a good sound minus
the false beats?  (Like a CA repair?)  Some of these pianos are good-looking
instruments on the outside, and it would be a shame to just throw it away if
something less costly than replacement would render a more decent piano.

My thinking is that, since these are Aeolian, then it would probably not be
worth it, due to what I listed and other causes; but I wanted to ask you
all.  Anyone had to do this kind of "surgery" for one of these pianos?  What
about restringing, bridge work, and rescaling on one of these pianos if it
could be obtained cheap?   Better left alone...?

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

P.S.  I tuned a Mason & Hamlin the other day that was so bad I had to get
out my SAT.  I set a temperament, and was tuning down to the wound strings,
and just couldn't hear well at all.  As it turned out, I had not done so bad
after all--the SAT agreed pretty much with mine--but using the SAT made me
feel more comfortable about this particular piano.