Christmas "overtime" premium?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:07:48 EST

studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com writes:

<< I already have over 12hrs work both days, but it is possible
 and 5 min. from home. The usual people I call for help are busy.
 The client was insistent that they should get a discount for the
 second piano as usual, but I was insistent that I
 should not be doing it, but if they must have me I would charge
 my regular rate for each, no discounts.
 They reluctantly paid, but not without some tension.
 Worked out OK. Pianos were very nice. Easy tunings.

 So.
 In general is it wrong to charge extra for emergency overtime?
 Would most people walk away, avoiding creating ill will with an extra
 charge?
 How do you deal with promoters that order tunings like ordering pizza.
 I've heard of a technician charging $250 to go out on New Years Eve on a
 couple hours notice.

                                 All opinions welcome
                                 Cheers
                                 Dave Renaud
                                 RPT >>

The nerve to even ask for a discount.

If this is one of your "regular" accounts, if you have the time, and are
willing to do the work, charge them your regular rate.

On the other hand, if you this was a "Your lack of planning doesn't
constitute an emergency on my part" situation, then charge what the traffic
will bear. If they refuse, let them worry about it. You don't have to tune
every piano that comes along. If they didn't have the foresight to call ahead
of time, it's their problem, not yours.

Willem