Aeolian verticals

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 21:26:49 -0600

Ron,

I thought as much, but wanted to ask those of you out there that have been
"in it" longer.  My first Aeolian that I tuned aurally was a Knabe, but I
didn't then realize how bad they really were.  I was wondering why it was
taking so long to tune it, and it was sooo hard to hear thru the false
beats.  Then I looked over and saw the label that says "Made by American
Craftsmen."  (Whatever that means....)  Now, instead of taking much time, I
just get the octaves decent and the unisons good, collect my fee, and go.

But I had to ask to satisfy the ol curiosity..

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 9:03 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Aeolian verticals

>I tune several Aeolian-made verticals, such as Mason & Hamlin, Hallet
Davis,
>Knabe, etc.  One of the major things that gripes me about them all is the
>false beats.  I have not taken the time to see if the cause is loose bridge
>pins, poor notching, or whatever...
>John Formsma

* Don't waste your time, John. These things should have come with a DNR
notice stamped in the plate. It is, indeed, poor notching, loose bridge
pins, and more "whatevers" than you can immobilize with all the CA in the
world, though that's an intriguing thought. They were built to be slid
behind a series of memorable names from the past (the names being more
substantial, and less easily slid, than the pianos), to give the appearance
of a respectable piano. I never did detect any evidence that they were
intended to be serviceable instruments, though, I confess, I never checked
out the casters. This seems to be a prime example of the "If they can't
afford a decent piano, let's sell them dressed up cheap junk and make a
profit." school of thinking.

If you step into one, you'll be cleaning up for a long time without seeing
any substantial improvement for the money and frustration spent. They are
what they are, just be thankful they're not yours.

Just my opinion.

Ron N