Time to level pins, dress coils...?

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 17:02:45 -0600

Newton,
Not a flame, just an observation. I have had three pianos in the last 18
months that I have dressed the coils and leveled the pins. All were victims
of poor stringing jobs- Steinway O, Yamaha G2, Starr 5' Grand.  All three
were unstable prior to the work and have held well since. I averaged about a
day on each- tuning included with some regulation, voicing etc. thrown in.
Couple of tips- a blunt screwdriver blade can be used in tight spaces as a
string lifter and return the tuning lever to approximately the same position
it was in before you let the tension down. It will not be at pitch but will
be close. I start at A0 and work to C8, get those big strings out of the way
while fresh. I also wear weightlifters gloves to relieve a little stress on
the hands. Hope this helps.
By the way, we will have stringing classes in Arlington: one by Greg Hulme
and Kent Webb will teach on restringing Baldwin pianos with AccuJust hitch
pins. Also, hands on stringing skills classes.

Couldn't help myself,
Dale

Dale Probst
Institute Director