Enlarging Castor Recesses

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 22:01:31 -0700

On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 19:58:49 PST "Tom Dickson" <td_tuner@hotmail.com>
writes:
> Hi, John!
>
>   Thanks for starting this thread;  hopefully we'll both get an
> answer.
>
>   I have done a number of these caster jobs on older uprights.  I
> started
> with just a chisel, and then hit on the rotary file in my drill.  I
> use
> these in combination, now.  But, that's as far as I've gotten, too.
>
>   I wondered about something like a hole saw, but it seems a little
> flimsy
> for the type of cutting required;
To me there is nothing flimsy about a hole saw.  The problem comes with
having a rather large hole already in the piano ( the one the stem fits
in ) and the fact that a hole saw is guided by a pilot bit that is about
1/4" in diameter.   A person would have to have something like the
bushings used to reduce that hole's size when installing stamped sockets.
  A wooden one might work for a while, but I would feel a lot better
about a metal one and just a steel rod rather than pilot bit that could
slide into the metal bushing and be free to turn in it.  ( Thinking out
loud here - not saying that this is necessarily a good method.)

John Fortiner
Billings, MT.
  also, I don't know as I can