The temperament crusade continues

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 21:18:29 -0600

> > The article said......
> > <<The well temperament, he notes, "is what Beethoven grew up around,
this is what Mozart lived in the middle of, this was the only tuning
available
 until the late 1850s."   >><<

>     Yes,  I said and believe that, but would welcome evidence to the
> contrary.

I would welcome any evidence from the composers themselves. If temperament
was so important they surely must have said something on the subject.
	There is no direct evidence (to my knowledge) of how Mozart's or
Beethoven's piano was actually tuned or which tuning if any they did
prefer.
	As Charles Beard (I think) the historian said, "No evidence, no history"

With all the letters of Mozart  there must be something in there about
tuning.

	We know what temperaments were proposed and when. That is from the
theorists. It is the evidence of who, where and when they were actually
used that is lacking. The best we can say is :"So and so  MAY have used
this temp at that time".
---ricexibita