Tuner of the Century

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 12:21:35 -0700

Lot's of millennuim talk these days. A TV documentery asks the question =
"What Was the Invention of the Millennium?" The conclusion . . . the =
printing press.

Let's apply some millennium talk to our profession only let's limit it =
to just the century.

Who was the tuner of the century?
What was the tool of the century?

This will be subjective you can be sure. We can't even agree on how to =
tune the Acrosonic. Most of us use equal temperament but some still =
prefer historical temperaments.

My humble opinon: It would seem that Dr. Al Sanderson would be the "man =
of the century". His invention of the "tool of the century", the =
Accu-Tuner, has certainly contributed in defining piano tuning as we =
know it today.=20

Wm. Braid was way ahead of his time 80 years ago. He would probably have =
contributed more if he had received a Accu-Tuner for Christmas.

Just attend a convention and you will encounter some brilliant minds. =
How can you mention names without offending others.=20

I was impressed with Rick Baldassin starting in about 1983. He was =
cranking out some heavy stuff even before he was 40 years old. Rick =
apparently also knows math, physics and music.=20

Then there's Jim Coleman Sr. His mind is like a hard drive. There's =
about 10 gigs in his brain on tuning alone. There's probably another 10 =
gigs on other piano knowledge. He would probably earn the "instructor of =
the century." Jim was prominent when Baldassin was still in high school. =
(Jim's probably getting all embarrassed out by all this praise.)

I attended a class in Kansas City by Dean Reyburn, inventory of the =
CyberTuner. This fellow must also be on the brilliant side, "better than =
your average toooner". His program is impressive and it certainly should =
be a benefit to our profession in years to come.=20

Those mentioned above have been active in passing on their talents. =
There are a number of outstanding people who could be mentioned if we're =
going to this at the end of the century.=20

Sy Zabrocki