Friction Weight=(D-U)/2

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:46:32 -0700

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:45:05 -0500 "David C. Stanwood"
<Stanwood@tiac.net> writes:
> [...]
> down
> weight to the nearest gram these figures both round out to 35 grams.
>  So
> with no friction, Up Weight and Down Weight are the same.
>
> Now let's spray mist the ball bearings with a mixture of 80% water
> and 20%
> alcohol.
> get that water right into those bearing with a liberal soaking!  Let
> stand
> for one full day do allow for full rust development.
>
> Now remeasure Down Weight and we find it has increased by 13 grams.
> It was
> 35 grams, now it's 48 grams.  13 grams is the additional weight
> needed to
> overcome the friction in the rusty bearings.  That's why it's called
> Friction Weight.  Now we measure Up Weight and we find that it has
> decreased by 13 grams as a result of the friction in the rusty
> bearings and
> now measures 22 grams.
>
> So this 13 grams is called "Friction Weight" and in the real world
> we find
> it as:
> (D-U)/2.
>
> As you can see in this case, referring to friction as 26 grams
> doesn't
> really tell you the effect of friction on either Up or Down Weight
> until
> you divide by two.
>
> Also, the 35 grams in this case,  is referred to as "Balance Weight"
> and is
> found as: (D-U)/2
>
> In defense of these terms I have to take exception with the comments
> by
> Mark Abbott Stern in his December 1999 Journal Article "Touchweight
> &
> Friction"
>
> He his introduction he states:
>
> "The hardest part will be giving up the belief in a widely accepted
> statement: "One half the difference between down weight and up
> weight is
> the friction of that note." Not entirely true. Repeat --- not true.
> Friction is certainly a part of that value, but there's more to it;
> there
> is a portion that cannot be reduced by all the lubricants in the
> world."
>
> He seems to imply that, by using all the lubricants in the world, we
> have
> eliminated friction and since there is still a difference between up
> and
> down weight, it must be from some other cause. He goes on to make
> the case
> that force vectors are the cause of it.
>
> My take on this is that if we reduce friction as much as we can (and
> this
> is not necessarily desirable) there is still plenty enough friction
> leftover to cause a difference between up weight and down weight.
>
> If we TRULY eliminated friction (Ball bearings)
****Sorry, but even ball bearings have "some" friction.  Idea as long as
this has been brought up.  What about magnetically opposed identical
poles facing each other ( north pole to north pole which would repel
rather than attract - and with a lot less friction than the worlds most
carefully machined ball bearing.

John  Fortiner
Billings, MT.
 there would be one