Perfect Pitch...Matthew

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:22:46 EST

 <What a relief!  I thought I was imagining things since certain frequent
> proponents of HT announced there was no color to ET.  I have perfect pitch
>(a  not particularly strong form) and I here different colors for each key
>in ET.
>Andrew Remillard>>

Greetings,
    I hear this statement a lot.  Invariably from "perfect pitch" people that
have never sat down at an equally tuned piano that is exactly1/2 step flat.
However, I have had fresh stringing jobs in the shop that I chipped and
pitched 1/2 step flat, and invite those that ascribe colors to ET to come and
listen.  It never fails that as I play in the key of C, they hear the "color"
of B. When I get into G, they always tell me that they recognize the colors
in the key of F# when they hear it!!
    If there are different "colors" ascribed to keys in ET, it is a pitch
dependant, learned response.  It is not due to the tempering.
Regards,
Ed Foote