Perfect Pitch...Matthew

ginacarter ginacarter@email.msn.com
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:13:41 -0500

Hearing in colors?

Food for thought, brought about by musings on Scriabin, Messaien, and
searching for answers:

"Olivier Messaien, a composer, describes himself as having color- sound
synaesthesia. He talks about experiencing the "gentle cascade of blue-orange
chords" while listening to Quator pour la fin du temps . He later talked of
seeing "colours which move with the music" and sensing these colors "in an
extremely vivid manner."

"Aleksandr Scriabin (1872-1915), a Russian composer, worked to incorporate
his own synaesthesia into his concerts. In 1911 he wrote a symphony entitled
Prometheus, the Poem of Fire . This symphony was to incorporate the usual
orchestra, piano, organ, and choir. However, this score also included
orchestrations for a "clavier a lumieres", or color organ, which would play
colored light during the symphony. The light would be in the shape of
clouds, beams, and other shapes which would "flood" the concert hall. The
climax would include a white light so strong as to be "painful to the eyes."
The first performance of Prometheus took place on March 29, 1915, in
Carnegie Hall.

"Colored Hearing Theories
"For colored hearing synaesthesia in particular, three psychological
theories have been put forward. The doctrine of the unity of the senses or
linkage theory, proposes that the perpetuation of a primitive perceptual
experience in the limbic system is the root cause of color synaesthesia. As
this system evolved, the perception was differentiated into two separate
senses, hearing and vision.
A similar theory, the crosstalk theory, holds that auditory and visual
information pathways may cross in synaesthetes. These cross-modal neural
connections may be numerically greater than usual or simply used in
different ways.
Some believe higher cognitive/cortical level processing (the limbic system
is thought to be lower level) to be involved. According to this view,
colored hearing synaesthesia is the result of a chain of mental
associations, some of the intermediate links having dropped out of
awareness. For instance, a person may see red every time they hear a trumpet
because of the red uniforms of a brass band.

"Feedback connections aid us in imagery, memory, sensory attention and other
cognitive functions, but could they also result in synaesthesia? Auditory
and visual information must meet somewhere in the brain or we could not
process them in conjunction as they occur. These systems may contain
feedback pathways normally but, in synaesthetes, they may be altered to
include information from the other senses!

"As you can see, synaesthesia is an extremely complex phenomenon. As methods
for exploring the way the brain works improve, the mechanisms of
synaesthesia may be revealed."

Source:
http://www.macalstr.edu/~psych/whathap/UBNRP/synesthesia/SYNBRA~1.HTM

Gina