heavy actioan

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:18:03 -0500

I tuned a kimball spinet today with a very heavy action.

I'd like to lighten things up but can't pinpoint the source. I checked
the following:

1. Checked key bushings...they are snug. I eased one front bushing that
seemed a little tight...no help. Balance rail key bushings ok.

2. Checked hammer return and whipps..they seemed ok

3. Played piano with dampler pedal depressed...that helped. I noticed
that dampers lifted at less than 1/3 of hammer travel. I adjusted a
coupple of dampers for very, very late lift. That seemed to help.  I
checked damper lever felts...they looked very good..no tearing or deep
pocket from spoon.

So far, all I can see is a damper timing problem. I figure I could
adjust some samples and them remove action and adjust remaining dampers
to samples.   I can't imagine adjusting the dampers with action in
piano.

Am I missing something? The changes due to damaper adjustment are not
earth shattering...I'd hate to remove a spinet action, adjust dampers,
and then find out it was a waste of time.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild