Temperament Setting Question-correction

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 08:55:57 EST

In a message dated 12/17/99 7:03:08 AM Pacific Standard Time, Billbrpt writes:

<< This is where closely voiced chords are played.  It is easy to make the
piano sound disharmonious by concentrating on favoring 4ths, 5ths and octaves
and ignoring the 3rds.  Moreover, the 3rds are pretty important all the way
down to F2 but lose their importance after A3. After A3, you can let them
become faster as you stretch the octaves to get more of the "singing tones"
out of your 10ths. >>

Dear List,

I always try to correct my spelling and proofread content before I send a
post but I often miss a fatal error in spite of my efforts.  The above
statement about the importance of 3rds to the harmony of the piano's midrange
should indicate A4, not A3.  I meant to say that in my opinion, the exact
rate of beating of the major & minor 3rds & 6ths is most important between F2
and A4.

Beyond either point, they become virtually inaudible and thus lose their
importance.  The wider RBIs, the 10ths, 17ths and other RBIs of over an
octave become more important above and below these points.  Within these
areas however, is where closely voiced chords are played.  If tuning involves
listening to Slowly Beating Intervals (SBI) only and ignores the RBIs,
cumulative errors can result in some odd, disharmonious sounding chords that
are adverse to the music being played.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin