setting temperament /color in ET

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 14:46:26 PST

O.K. now, follow me on this for awhile-

If you put these two threads together, you see that there MUST be key color
in equal temperament.  In traditional HTs, the rapid beating interval of the
third is varied in a non-liner manner. (mostly relating to the circle of
fifths, slower at the top, quicker at the bottom of the circle)

When working on setting a temperament we talk of a smooth progression of the
thirds as you go up chromaticly (linear)- so our thirds in ET are not even,
but changing in speed, depending on the key.

So...... in the span of a few octaves, play the same simple melody over
chords WITH THE SAME VOICING.  You will hear different beat rates.  voila!
key color.  Now, by changing the voicing, (open the chords up, you can
effectivly slow down the beat rates.)  Wow, same key, different effect!

So, be it Equal temp, any HT or even Reverse Well, it isn't good or bad,
just different.  Yup, back to the spice analogy. I think the main objection
to RW should only be that it is placed without intent.  I would even propose
that in certain situation, Reverse well would be the proper choice over a
traditional Historical temperament.  Think about how many vocal selections
are transposed to fit a certain vocal range, or how many stage band pieces
are in the flat keys for the instrumentation.

Historical temperaments, I would rather call Optomizing temperaments,
because they choose certain keys to favor.  That way, you can bring the
music back into the tuning, not get stuck in the history angle.

Enjoy the Holidays!

Ron Koval

Chicagoland