bandsaw recommendation

Steve Grattan lostchordclinic@ameritech.net
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 20:30:25 -0500

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Hi Gang,
> I've been out in the shop ripping what seems like miles of maple into
> strips, and find I've got a problem. Judging from the slop in the lower
> wheel bearings in my old Sears 12" bandsaw, I'm quickly coming up on making
> a decision to just replace the bearings and put up with it for another
> twenty years, or replace the saw altogether with something of better
> quality in the first place. Since I know about what to expect with the
> bearing replacement (come to think of it, I remember having done this once
> already), I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement saw. So far, I
> haven't been able to talk my retired industrial arts teacher/semi-retired
> piano technician friend out of his old Oliver (which I'd cheerfully
> rebuild), so I'll probably be shopping soon. What's the consensus out there
> for a good solid general purpose bandsaw?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron N

I have a Delta 14" with the height extension that uses 3/4" X 105 "
blades.  Nothing even slows it down.  I wore out my Craftsman three
years ago and haven't been sorry I bought the Delta.  Get on the NET and
check out some of the deals that are available through companies such as
Coastal Tool/AIS Supply etc. if you don't have a good local dealer.

Steve Grattan
Lost Chord Clinic